Feed your little ghouls with this ideal meal for a Halloween teatime. The recipe was given to me by my cousin who’s son is coeliac (thanks Julie!). Pancakes are always a fun treat and the green colour of these is fantastic- its a brilliant way to get kids to eat their greens too! These pancakes are delicious with grated cheese (goats cheese goes well) and chopped ham. They are very quick to make, so give you plenty of time to go out trick or treating! The coconut cream gives a lovely rich, creamy, nutty flavour and makes these dairy free too, but you could use cows milk if you need to.
115g baby spinach
160ml coconut cream
100g gluten free flour
Dairy free cheese (The pancakes go really well with mild goats cheese).
- Wash then blend the spinach with the coconut cream and water until smooth.
- Put the flour into a mixing bowl and crack the egg into the centre. Gradually whisk in the spinach mixture until you have a smooth batter (you may need to add slightly more water to create a loose enough batter for the pancakes).
- Put the flour in a bowl then slowly whisk in the egg/spinach mixture. Kids can help to mix it all together, until you have a smooth (wonderfully green!!) batter.
- Allow the mixture to rest in the fridge while you grate the cheese and cut the ham into small pieces.
- Cook the pancakes; Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add a couple of tablespoons of the mixture and quickly move it around the pan to create a thin layer of batter. Wait until the underside begins to be cooked (it will just start to go golden) and turn the pancake over (or flip it if you are feeling brave!!) to cook the other side.
- Serve the pancakes with some grated cheese and chopped ham.
TIP: These spooky green pancakes are delicious with wholemeal flour too. For an even greener Halloween tea, enjoy the pancakes with my green bean dip and follow the dish with slimy green jelly for pudding.
For a witch-inspired activity, have a look at the Meals and Makes mini veg patch kit and grow some spooky purple leaves to add to your favourite meals.