Make a Jurassic land for your plastic dinosaurs. Place rocks, sand and sticks in a tray or on a large baking sheet and let your imagination run wild! This is a lovely imaginary/ small world play activity. My girls always enjoy creating these little worlds and seem to find it quite a relaxing game. Its a nice outdoor activity if the weather is good. You can make this into a craft activity too, by getting the kids to help with making the Jurassic trees and the cave.
You will need:
Sand/ soil/ stones or coloured paper
Rocks and stones
Leaves and sticks (or you could use shredded green paper)
Tub of water or silver foil
Play dough or plasticine
Brown felt tip
Empty toilet roll tube
Green paper or tissue paper
- Put sand or stones on a tea tray or baking tray as a base for the land (or use coloured paper, for example green, brown or yellow) if you want to keep things cleaner).
- Add Rocks, plants sticks, leaves etc for the dinosaurs to hide behind.
- Include a tub of water (as a lake) for the dinosaurs to go swimming in, or just use a cut piece of silver foil if you want to keep things dry!
- Use play dough or plasticine to make a cave mans cave: Roll lots of chunks of play dough into balls (also known as mini rocks!), then pile them onto each other and squish them together to make a cave.
- Make some Jurassic trees: Make some bark-like squiggles on an empty toilet roll tube using a brown felt tip. Next, with the scissors, cut some strips of green paper. Put the strips into the top of the up-turned toilet roll tube and secure with tape.
- Get the dinosaurs out and play!