Make a Moroccan style lamp out of cardboard. Decorate your dinner table and bring some of the colour and magic of Morocco into your dining room as you eat. Choose rich and vibrant colours, with reflective sequins for sparkle. This is a simple kids craft activity which is very easy to throw together, but looks very effective. You could use this idea for a Chinese New Year lantern (using red and gold paper) or perhaps a Christmas decoration.
You will need:
A4 Colourful paper
A4 coloured card (I have used silver)
Ruler (if you want to be really accurate, but you can do it without)
Decorations such as: Sequins, tissue paper, glitter, fuzzy balls, straws, felt tips, dried pasta (whatever you happen to have about the house) etc
1. Take 1 piece of colourful paper and cut it so that it is 18Cm x 21.7Cm (see Image a).
2. Curl the long edge round and roll the paper into a tube (so the tube is 18Cm long) and secure with sticky tape (see Image b).
3. Take 1 piece of A4 coloured card. Fold this card in half lengthways then fold back the long edges by 2.5Cm (see Image c).
4. Cut strips (roughly 2Cm) across the centre of the fold of the cardboard, going up to the 2.5Cm fold- do not cut all the way to the edge of the card- (see Image d).
5. Open the folded and cut card out then bend this around the paper tube, secure it to the tube with sticky tape (see Image e).
6. Decorate your lamp with sequins/tissue paper/ glitter and make a handle with a small strip of card.
Please note, these are only made from cardboard and paper so they are for decoration only (obviously it is not safe to put any lighting inside them!!).
If your kids are keen crafters, try them with some simple sewing here.